Pharma Innovation, Powered by AI

Biopharma R&D has historically grappled with low productivity, high failure rates, and protracted development timelines. With patent cliffs looming and the need to replenish drug pipelines pressing, biopharma companies are intensifying efforts to enhance the efficiency and efficacy of their R&D operations.

The maturation of digital health innovations offers a glimmer of hope. Artificial intelligence (AI) solutions, notably generative AI, are showcasing considerable promise in bolstering R&D productivity. In this context, Pharma AI Partnership Growth between 2018 and 2023 has surged by 3.9 times, with a notable shift towards Research Solutions and a significant adoption rate of AI and Generative AI, contributing to enhanced productivity in Pharma collaborations.

Key insights from the report:

1. Pharma AI Partnership Growth:

Between 2018 and 2023, partnerships surged by 3.9 times, shifting focus towards Research Solutions. With 76% adoption, AI and Generative AI enhance productivity.

2. Shift in Focus:

Initially, partnerships predominantly centred around Patient Solutions and Medical Diagnostics (accounting for 45% in 2018). However, by 2023, the focus shifted significantly toward Research Solutions, constituting 32% of partnerships. This strategic shift has led to enhanced clinical development productivity.

3. AI Implementation:

To further boost productivity, ventures are increasingly adopting Artificial Intelligence (AI) and Generative AI solutions. In Research Solutions, 76% of ventures utilize AI and GenAI.

4. Top Biopharma Players:

The top 20 Biopharma companies (based on 2022 sales) account for 40% of all partnerships in this sector. The remaining 60% of partnerships are distributed among over 350 other Biopharma companies.

5. Venture Maturity:

Ventures have progressed beyond prototypes and proof-of-concept (POC) stages. In the Research Solutions domain, 44% of ventures exhibit Clinical Strength (Evidence Signal > 40). Clinical Strength underscores the tangible impact of a venture’s Digital Health solution on patient outcomes.

6. Funding Landscape:

Financial pressure remains high in the Digital Health ecosystem. Globally, among Research Solutions ventures, only a third or fewer of Growth-Stage ventures in North America and Asia Pacific have secured funding in the past 18 months, indicating relatively weak funding strength. In contrast, 75% of European-founded ventures have successfully raised funding.

Featured companies in the Pharma Innovation, Powered by AI Report

HealthTech Alpha, a Galen Growth proprietary solution, and the global leading Digital Health private market data, intel and insights platform powers this report!

Explore our latest Digital Health reports

About our Premium Reports

Our Premium Reports are specialized reports that are only available to active users with HealthTech Alpha Pro and HealthTech Alpha Enterprise accounts and are provided at no additional cost.

Source of Data

Galen Growth’s proprietary platform, HealthTech Alpha, provides the data source for this report. Corporate Business Development, Business Intelligence, and Digital Health Partnership teams worldwide prefer HealthTech Alpha, the world’s most-trusted Digital Health data, intel, and insights platform. Visit to learn more about our data or research for our reports.

Our Mission

Founded in 2016 by Digital Health experts, Galen Growth empowers global Fortune 500 companies, institutional investors, and promising Digital Health ventures to fast track their digital health strategy to create significant financial and social values. To find out more, visit

HEADLINES 12 pages, 13 charts, 1 table
ECOSYSTEM INSIGHTS 12 pages, 16 charts, 5 tables
INVESTMENT INSIGHTS 5 pages, 7 charts, 2 tables
THERAPEUTIC FOCUS 5 pages, 5 charts, 1 table
CATEGORY FOCUS 3 pages, 7 charts, 1 table
ONCOLOGY 4 pages, 6 charts, 1 table
DRUG DISCOVERY 4 pages, 6 charts, 1 table
OMICS-RELATED RESEARCH 4 pages, 6 charts, 1 table
BIOINFORMATICS 4 pages, 6 charts, 1 table
NOTEWORTHY 6 pages, 5 charts, 3 tables

Buy Only


  • Purchase and download this report
  • Access to limited data in HealthTech Alpha
Buy Now


  • Sign up now to download all premium research
  • Access and download all data in HealthTech Alpha
$ 385 /Month
Custom Solution


  • Get full access to unmatched premium research for your organization
  • Additional collaboration features to take your team's research and collaboration to the next level
Let's Talk
Contact Us

© Galen Growth 2024




Total Funding

GGA Score

powered by